There is a video footage of concentration camps taken by the Nazis before they were liberated I know this sounds morbid... but I like to learn about history, even when the subject matter covers heinous atrocities like the holocaust. I’ve always been curious about this since the only footage I’ve seen seems to have been taken by the soldiers who liberated the camps (heartbreaking footage of things like the mass graves, piles of shoes, bones in gas chambers, etc) but I feel like this is definitely something the nazis would have documented and while I’m sure they destroyed some evidence of it, I’m doubtful they were able to get rid of all of it. So, does footage like this exist? Where would one who is interested in the history of the holocaust find such films? Making photos and films of any camps or executions was generally forbidden without permission. Permission was sometimes given, however. First of all, when the Nazis wanted to produce propaganda. The Theresienstadt propaganda fo...
There is a video footage of concentration camps taken by the Nazis before they were liberated
I know this sounds morbid... but I like to learn about history, even when the subject matter covers heinous atrocities like the holocaust. I’ve always been curious about this since the only footage I’ve seen seems to have been taken by the soldiers who liberated the camps (heartbreaking footage of things like the mass graves, piles of shoes, bones in gas chambers, etc) but I feel like this is definitely something the nazis would have documented and while I’m sure they destroyed some evidence of it, I’m doubtful they were able to get rid of all of it. So, does footage like this exist? Where would one who is interested in the history of the holocaust find such films?
Making photos and films of any camps or executions was generally forbidden without permission. Permission was sometimes given, however.
First of all, when the Nazis wanted to produce propaganda.
The Theresienstadt propaganda footage is well known: https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn1004141
And Theresienstadt was an officially designated "propaganda camp".
Slightly less known is the propaganda footage from the transit camp Westerbork:
https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn1000924
There some of the "permanent" privileged prisoners - such as the "Jewish council" members - were encouraged to organize "cultural activities", which also served for the entertainment of the camp SS, before the camp was converted into a labor camp and all such activities ceased.
Both propaganda reels are sometimes misused by Holocaust deniers, some of whom go as far as to lie that this was filmed in Auschwitz.
If you're interested in the atrocity footage, the closest you can get (aside from the shootings, like the Liepaja shooting of which footage exists, also online) is this only known homicidal gassing footage from Mogilev, where patients of a psychiatric hospital were gassed (not camp footage, but...):
(The link leads to a text analysis, the video is embedded only in the third part and will only play if you click on it.)
http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot.com/2016/05/german-footage-of-homicidal-gassing.html
It was shot by Arthur Nebe, who conducted this gassing experiment, or someone close to him, and was found in his flat after the war. Nebe liked to film and was high-ranking enough so as not to require a permission.
There was footage of a gassing in one of the euthanasia institutions which probably didn't survive, but we still have the 1942 script by Hermann Schwenninger:
http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot.com/2016/10/contemporary-german-documents-on-carbon.html#_doc1
> Gas room (cuts to turning on of the valve, gasometer and observation by the doctor). In a hermetically sealed room the patient is exposed to the effects of carbon monoxide gas. The incoming gas is completely odourless and initially robs the patient of their powers of judgement, and then their consciousness. Completely unknown by the patient, without pain and without struggle, the deliverance of death takes effect.
Finally a word of caution should be given about fake footage allegedly from Auschwitz that appears in a Hungarian documentary:
http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot.com/2017/11/fake-footage-of-auschwitz-birkenau.html
Otherwise you'll have to make do with photos.

Comments
Post a Comment